My 'rant'astic life amongst other things

Sunday, November 10, 2013

Matters of gravity and the gut....


I blame Alfonso Cuaron for my bad stomach. All the weightlessness, light-headedness and nausea that accompany hurtling through space with a good measure of rogue stellar debris, became all too real.  Ok fine. He can share the blame with 3-D technology.  And yes, it is visually stunning.

‘What do you love the most about being here?’ asks George Clooney of Sandra Bullock and she promptly replies that it’s the silence. And what’s not to adore? The silence of space captured beautifully almost shames you into abandoning your popcorn lest you break this bubble.

Two strangers stranded in space: Dr Ryan Stone (Bullock) and yours truly.  Whilst one has had a glimpse of her painful past, you don’t really feel the connection until she’s howling at the moon along with dogs she hears on some Russian-esque AM frequency. Her tears float towards you and at once her pain and desperation are all yours.

Thank God for oxygen-deprived hallucinations. Probably the best excuse to bring an un-helmeted George Clooney back on screen. And what a shame it would have been if they hadn’t! I realized for the first time that just the sound of his voice through an unrecognizable space suit was enough to make me smile. That you actually get to see his face and his baby blues (ok, he admits his eyes are brown) is a bonus. 

Will I watch Gravity again? Hmmm..Let me put it this way, to watch it again would mean to experience being lost in space all over again and that is something I wouldn’t want.  But without the element of surprise, it may not feel so real the second time. In that case, would I watch it? I have a bad feeling about that mission....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home